Checklist to Assure Fairness - Unit 18 Titles
|Type of Action:
BEFORE THE PERSONNEL REVIEW FILE IS ASSEMBLED:
|1.||_______||_______||The Candidate was notified by the Department Chair/Unit Head or designee of the purpose, timing, criteria and procedures for evaluation.|
|2.||_______||_______||The Candidate was made aware that past personnel actions may be viewed during the current review process.|
|3.||_______||_______||The Candidate was asked to provide the following information as appropriate. Submit to department according to department’s deadline. Check those items the Candidate actually provided.|
|a.||_______||Updated Curriculum Vitae or Cumulative Biobibliography with current home address.|
|b.||_______||Statement of pedagogical philosophy and goals (optional)|
|c.||_______||Syllabi, reading lists, tests, instructional handouts|
|d.||_______||Other information which the Candidate wishes to have included in the review file (optional)|
|e.||_______||Names of persons who, for reasons set forth in writing by the Candidate, might not objectively evaluate the Candidate's qualifications and performance (optional, but if provided, must be included in file)|
BEFORE THE DEPARTMENT/UNIT RECOMMENDATION IS DETERMINED:
|4.||_______||_______||The Candidate was provided the opportunity to inspect all NON-CONFIDENTIAL documents to be included in the file.|
|5.||_______||_______||The Candidate was given the opportunity to submit a written statement in response to or commenting upon material in the file within five (5) working days from receipt or inspection of non-confidential documents. Response due by __________(date).|
|5a.||_______||_______||The Candidate declines to submit a written statement.|
|6.||_______||_______||The Candidate's written statement, if any, must be included in the file.|
AFTER THE DEPARTMENT/UNIT RECOMMENDATION IS DETERMINED:
|7.||_______||_______||The Candidate was given a copy of the department/unit assessment/letter.|
|8.||_______||_______||The Candidate was given the opportunity to submit a written comment on the department/unit recommendation. The Candidate has five (5) working days from receipt of copy in which to respond. Response due by __________ (date).|
|9.||_______||_______||The Candidate declines to submit a written statement.|
|10.||_______||_______||The Candidate's written statement, if any, must be included in the file, and may be submitted to the department/unit or directly to the dean. If submitted directly to the dean, it shall remain confidential from the department/unit.|
|Signature of the Candidate||Date||Signature of the Unit Head||Date|
RIGHTS OF ALL ACADEMIC APPOINTEES IN THE UNIVERSITY
The Checklists to Assure Fairness have been designed to ensure the following rights are protected:
- The right that the University maintain records containing information pertaining to individuals only to the extent necessary and relevant for official University purposes.
- The right to privacy with respect to such records maintained by the University.
- The right to have access to non-confidential documents in such records, and the right to obtain a redacted copy of confidential academic review records.
- The right to request corrections of fact or deletions of errors in such records and to make additions to such records.
- The right of individuals to contribute meaningfully to the review process in academic personnel actions affecting them.
- The right that final administrative decisions concerning appointment, promotion, merit increase, appraisal, reappointment, non-reappointment, and terminal appointment be based solely upon relevant materials contained in individuals' personnel review files
- The right to have safeguards in the academic personnel process, including an effective grievance mechanism, which will provide opportunity for inquiry into alleged procedural improprieties in that process.