Checklist to Assure Fairness for Lecturer with Security of Employment Series
|Type of Action:
The Candidate's initials indicate that these obligations have been fulfilled in her/his current academic personnel review. Make annotations as necessary. Signatures of both the Candidat and Unit Head are required.
BEFORE THE PERSONNEL REVIEW FILE IS ASSEMBLED:
|1.||_______||_______||The Candidate was notified of the impending action, informed about the entire review process, and made aware of APM 210-3, CAPM 410.220 and CAPM 200.160 and other appropriate policies relevant to this review|
|2.||_______||_______||The Candidate was made aware that past personnel actions may be viewed during the current review process.|
|3.||_______||_______||The Candidate was made aware that copies of publications (or like material) submitted to the department may be forwarded for review by all review agencies with any action.|
|4.||_______||_______||The Candidate was asked to provide the following information as appropriate. Check those items the Candidate actually provided. Submit to department no later than first day of fall quarter. (Departments may set an earlier deadline.)|
|a.||_______||Updated Cumulative Bio-bibliography with current address|
|b.||_______||Syllabi, reading lists, tests, instructional handouts|
|c.||_______||The Candidate's statement of pedagogical philosophy and goals (optional)|
|d.||_______||Unsolicited material - other information which the Candidate wishes to have included in the review file|
|e.||_______||Names of persons (external and internal) suggested by the Candidate to be solicited for letters of evaluation and brief comments on the academic standing of each proposed reviewer and relationship, if any, to the Candidate (include in file)|
|f.||_______||Names of persons (external or internal) who, for reasons set forth in writing by the Candidate, might not objectively evaluate the Candidate's qualifications and performance (include in file)|
BEFORE THE DEPARTMENT/UNIT RECOMMENDATION IS DETERMINED:
|5.||_______||_______||The Candidate was provided the opportunity to inspect all NON-CONFIDENTIAL documents to be included in the file.|
|6.||_______||_______||The Candidate was provided a redacted copy of the confidential documents which are included in the file. Include a copy of the redaction in the original file.|
|7.||_______||_______||The Candidate was given the opportunity to submit a written statement in response to or commenting upon material in the file within five (5) working days from receipt of the material. Response due by _________(date).|
|7a.||_______||_______||The Candidate declines to submit a written statement. APM 220-80-d.|
|8.||_______||_______||The Candidate's written statement, if any, must be included in the file.|
AFTER THE DEPARTMENT/UNIT RECOMMENDATION IS DETERMINED:
|9.||_______||_______||The Candidate was given a copy of the Department letter.|
|10.||_______||_______||The Candidate was given the opportunity to submit a written comment on the department recommendation. The Candidate has five (5) working days from receipt of copy in which to respond. Response due by _________ (date).|
|10a.||_______||_______||The Candidate declines to submit a written statement. APM 220-80-e.|
|11.||_______||_______||The Candidate's written comment, if any, must be included in the file, and may be submitted to the department or directly to the Dean. If submitted directly to the Dean, it shall remain confidential from the department.|
Note to the Candidate: After the final decision is issued, you may request access to the documents in the review file as specified in CAPM 200.160. Please contact your divisional Academic Personnel Coordinator to request access for dean's authority actions. For actions approved by the EVC or Chancellor, submit the Access Request Form to the Academic Personnel Office. The form is located on the Academic Personnel Office web site at apo.ucsc.edu (under the Forms and Data Section).
|Signature of the Candidate||Date||Signature of the Unit Head||Date|
RIGHTS OF ALL ACADEMIC APPOINTEES IN THE UNIVERSITY
The Checklists to Assure Fairness have been designed to ensure the following rights are protected:
- The right that the University maintain records containing information pertaining to individuals only to the extent necessary and relevant for official University purposes.
- The right to privacy with respect to such records maintained by the University.
- The right to have access to non-confidential documents in such records, and the right to obtain a redacted copy of confidential academic review records.
- The right to request corrections of fact or deletions of errors in such records and to make additions to such records.
- The right of individuals to contribute meaningfully to the review process in academic personnel actions affecting them.
- The right that final administrative decisions concerning appointment, promotion, merit increase, appraisal, reappointment, non-reappointment, and terminal appointment be based solely upon relevant materials contained in individuals' personnel review files
- The right to have safeguards in the academic personnel process, including an effective grievance mechanism, which will provide opportunity for inquiry into alleged procedural improprieties in that process.