Help for Solicited Letter Writers
Thank you for agreeing to submit a letter of evaluation for an academic personnel action at the University of California, Santa Cruz. The quality of faculty at the University of California is dependent upon receiving informed and objective evaluations of their scholarship, creative work, and standing in the academic community. We appreciate your time and attention.
If you have any questions that are not addressed by this tutorial, please contact the candidate's department.
Reviewing the File
Once the candidate’s material is ready for your review, you will receive an email from the candidate’s department. That email will include a unique token which will allow you to view the candidate's materials and submit your letter of evaluation. Keep the email/token until you have submitted your evaluation.
- Click on the security token in the email.
- You will be logged in to the review system and will be taken to the candidate’s dossier page, where you can view the materials in their file. To read a document in the file, click the link next to the listing for that item.
Submitting Your Letter of Evaluation
Once you have written your evaluation, you can submit your letter directly through the system. While the online review system will accept a variety of file formats, we ask that you submit your letter of evaluation as a PDF. Many of our faculty reviewers appreciate seeing letters on institutional letterhead, and a PDF ensures that all reviewers will be able to easily open and read your letter.
As a reminder, identifying information as contained in the letterhead or written below your signature block will be held in confidence from the candidate. As described in our Confidentiality Statements, UCSC academic appointees are entitled to see the full body text of your letter.
- Use the security token in the solicitation email to access the candidate’s record in the online review system. (see image in Step 1. above)
- Click the Upload Recommendation button at the top right of the candidate’s dossier screen.
- Click the Browse button to select your letter from your file system to upload it to the online review system.
- The Title field will default to your document’s file name. You can rename it to something more descriptive if you wish by typing the new name into the Title field.
- Click the Upload Recommendation button to save your document to the candidate’s review file. You will receive a confirmation message when the candidate’s file has been updated.
- If you have downloaded any documents to your system while reviewing the candidate’s file, please delete them to preserve the candidate’s privacy.